In this month's issue:
After this, we got down to business by discussing what HOSA really is and its mission as as organization. The benefits and getting involved in HOSA were topics of discussion, hoping to get members excited about being a part of such an amazing opportunity.
Of course there was talk of SLC and ILC. Some of our officers shared their experiences in an effort to instill in everyone that leadership conferences are such a big part of HOSA and have created so many friendships among members (not to mention how awesome it feels to place in your event).
Overall, the first meeting served as a great basis and for the year to come. We hope that it will be as awesome as we plan!
As of the 2018-2019 school year, NWCTA HOSA will be partnering with the NDN (Nevada Donor Network) to promote organ donation. Initiated by our chapter's president, Noah Ahmed, our members will be volunteering with NDN at health-related events to promote registration for organ donation. The hope of this is to educate Nevadans all about donating their organs and to dispel any myths that may be holding them back from registering.
Nevada Donor Network. (n.d.). What Can be Donated. Retrieved October 14, 2018, from http://www.nvdonor.org/what-can-be-donated
There are over 100,000 people waiting for organs in the U.S., so working with NDN is something we are very passionate about. Many of the volunteers at NDN are organ recipients/donors or family of organ recipients/donors. It is an amazing opportunity to be able to work with and get to know such amazing people with incredible stories.
Throughout the year out members will volunteer to help NDN with their mission and aid in saving/ improving the lives of those in need or organs and/or tissue. With this partnership we hope to build up both NDN and NWCTA HOSA as organizations.
For more information visit NDN's website.
By Kobi Williams
1. Registered Nurses. (2018, March 30). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291141.htm#nat
2. What does the future of the nursing industry look like? (2017, August 21). Retrieved from https://onlinedegrees.bradley.edu/resources/articles/what-does-the-future-of-the-nursing-industry-look-like/
3. What is Nursing & What do nurses do? | ANA Enterprise. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/workforce/what-is-nursing/
By Tiffany Nguyen-Tran
1. Cochlear Implants. (2018, June 15). Retrieved from https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/cochlear-implants
2. Cochlear implants & cochlear implant technology. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.cochlear.com/au/home/understand/hearing-and-hl/hl-treatments/cochlear-implant